Monday, July 9, 2012

More Firsts


During the first year of my girls’ lives, there were so many firsts: the first smile, first laugh, first spit-up, first night of sleep, first step, etc.  But, even after almost 2 years, “firsts” still get me excited!  And this weekend we had some big firsts:



It started on Saturday with Zoey’s first haircut.  Finally!  My poor Zoey has had a mullet for a while now and Dave refused to let me cut it, I’m still not sure why!  Slowly, over the last few weeks, the mullet started forming into more of a rat’s tail.  And after everyone we hung with asked us when we would cut it, Dave finally agreed it was time!  So, on Saturday we took both girls to Zippity Do’s in Huntington and prayed for the best (see first picture below)!  I have to say, it was better than I thought!  The chairs are cars so Zoey was super excited to sit in the car.  She was calm and happy as we put on an Elmo DVD.  But, once the hair dresser came over with the scissors, things got a little ugly!  She cried, didn’t scream, but definitely cried throughout the 10 minute haircut.  But she remained still enough for the cut to happen pretty easily and she obviously looks adorable!!  And, as soon as she got her pretzel for being a good girl, she was happy as could be and actually didn’t want to get out of the car!  Kayla was of course wonderful because she goes to sit in a car, get the pretzel and not go through the trauma of the haircut!  She’ll be lucky if she gets a cut by the time she’s 3!

The next day we had the girls’ first swim lesson at Saf T Swim in Commack (second picture below).  Both my girls love the pool so I wasn’t super worried about that.  And, they’ve really been doing amazingly well at camp without me.  But, I didn’t know how they would react to going into the pool with a stranger.  We handed the girls to their instructors and Dave and I went into a room with a one way mirror so they couldn’t see us.  Both girls cried for about 10 seconds and then Kayla was great, kicking her legs, playing with the water toys, etc.  Zoey whined, not really cried, but whined on and off for about 10 minutes, but then seemed happy and playing.  So, overall, this was again, better than I expected!

These two events may not seem so huge, but it was to me!  And it’s just another reminder that my girls are really growing up!  They are so not babies anymore and I love it more and more!  I guess I miss some of the good baby stuff like the snuggling with the “No Mommy, no!”  But, the older they get, the more fun they are becoming!  Wish me luck with the next first which is happening tomorrow…Mommy and Me at Crestwood Day Camp in Melville!

No comments:

Post a Comment