Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Finding out its TWINS!!!!!

After finding out we were pregnant, I was on cloud 9!  I was scheduled for my first sonogram a week later, at which point I would be 5 weeks pregnant.  That whole thing, by the way, is so weird to me.  I understand that when people get pregnant naturally, they count from their last period.  But, I can actually tell you within a 3 day window when I got pregnant, yet my due date was still calculated based off my last period.  So weird!  Anyway, at this point I was 4 weeks pregnant and scheduled for a sonogram the next week.
My husband and I both went to the fertility office super excited.  But, of course, with other women in the waiting room who were not pregnant yet, we did our best to contain ourselves.  My doctor came in, as did my best friend, I mean my nurse, and we looked at the screen.  And there, for the first time I saw my baby!  Granted, she looked like the size of a pea and that was under magnification, but there she was!  I just couldn’t believe it!  The doctor told us everything looked perfect – size, position, everything.  Then he said, “Oh, and the other baby looks perfect too.”  My husband and I looked at each other and said, “The other what?”  “The other fetus.  You knew we transferred 2 eggs so there was a chance of twins.  Well, you’re having twins.”  OH MY GOD!!!!!!  WHAT?!?!  TWINS, as in 2 babies?  OH MY GOD!!!!!
Let me backtrack a minute…so, when we decided to move forward with IVF, my doctor explained that he thought we should transfer 1 embryo, based on my age, health, size, etc.  However, during that first round I did not stimulate as well as we’d all hoped.  I only had about 9 eggs and then I think only 7 fertilized and out of those there were really only 2 good embryos to transfer.  So, we transferred both and neither took.  Remember, my first IVF did not work.  So, the second time around, it wasn’t even a question.  I again didn’t stimulate fabulously, even though we changed the meds a little.  But once again, I had similar numbers and transferred two eggs.  Although this time, apparently, they both took and I was pregnant with twins!!!
After my husband and I left, we looked at each other in the car and cracked up laughing!  The first thing I thought of was that 7 years ago, when we went on our first vacation together just the 2 of us, we had met this amazing couple from Canada who had twin boys.  One night in our cabin (it was a cruise), Dave told me how we wished we would have twins, he thought it was the coolest thing ever.  We joked and I explained to him that he had no hopes – there weren’t twins on either side of our families ever!  But, he just laughed and said he could always hope.  Well, baby, you got your wish!  We had twins...

No comments:

Post a Comment