Tuesday, April 10, 2012

First Ear Infection

So, Kayla had her first ear infection these past few days and with the infection came 103.5 fever.  Neither one of my girls have ever had a fever that high.  Needless to say I don’t want to complain too much since they are 19 months and like I said, this was the first ear infection and first high fever.  But, it sucked!  And I mean it totally sucked!!  Not only did I feel so horribly bad for Kayla because she really seemed so sick, but I also felt so badly for Zoey because she didn’t know what to do with herself.  She really tried to help out and I think she really noticed something was wrong with Kayla and knew she needed me and Dave more, but after a while Zoey wanted her share of the attention too.  And, this is of course understandable, but just difficult to accommodate.

Now, I’m sure this sort of thing happens not just with twins, but with siblings of any age.  I think that right now the big difference is that both my girls are at the same age where they are starting to understand so much, but don’t totally get all of it.  Or if they do get it, they ultimately want what they want when they want it.  There’s not too much reasoning I can do at this point.  I try and sometimes it works, but not like you can try to rationalize with say, a 3, 4 or 5 year old.  Of course I’m not saying that trying to rationalize with a kid that age is easy by any means, but like I’ve been saying throughout my blogs, at this point, things like this with twins just seems more difficult. 

Anyway, I think Zoey might have actually enjoyed this more than she originally let on.  Kayla stayed home for the Passover sedars and Dave and I took turns bring Zoey to our respective families.  She was the star of the sedars!  She seemed to love having all the attention and milked it for all it was worth!  She sat at the sedars like an angel, putting her two sense in periodically with an emphatic, “Mommy, Daddy” or “Beep, beep” for entertainment purposes.  She also stayed up later than she ever did before as happy as could be!  Is it wrong that this, while it was deliciously wonderful to witness and hear about, also made me kind of sad?  I couldn’t help but think to myself, “Doesn’t she miss Kayla?”  The only sign I noticed of her possibly realizing Kayla wasn’t with her was when, at my parent’s house my cousin asked where Kayla was and Zoey looked around with a confused and worried expression.  But then she saw my dad who calls, “Umpa,” and all was right with the world.  I make sure I tell the girls they are each other’s best friends every day and I kind of felt badly that the girls were separated and didn’t seem to care.  I can rationalize Kayla’s response to being delirious and sick, but I wished Zoey felt a little bit badly that Kayla was nowhere to be found!

Anyway, Kayla is finally on the mend, no fever for 2 days, but still on her antibiotic.  But, the girls are definitely back to being best friends and fighting with each other over everything so it’s normal again!  We actually went out to lunch today with our best friends, Jess and her son Jack, and the kids did the cutest thing:  They were each sitting in a high chair all next to each other and first Zoey grabbed Kayla’s hand, then she grabbed Jack’s hand and the three kids sat like that for a minute.  Then, they did it again and again!  It was delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment