Monday, January 2, 2012

New Years Resolution

Happy New Year!  I cannot believe its 2012!  As much as I wish I could start out this year on an optimistic and positive note, I kind of can’t.  Lately, Kayla is driving me nuts!  Literally, I feel like I could be going insane!  However, one of my New Year resolutions is to have more patience with Kayla.  In order to do that with her physically, I must blog right now about what is going on.  This way, hopefully I will actually have more patience with her when she wakes up from her nap!
I will start out by saying that when Kayla is in a good mood, she is ridiculously delicious!  I know I might be biased, but I genuinely think she is an absolutely fabulous little 16 month old.  But, I guess that’s just it…she’s still only 16 months old.  And, technically, since she was a preemie, she’s really only 14.5 months old.  But, still, I wish she would be happy all the time!  When she is “bad,” she is really bad!
Her newest thing is all of a sudden, out of nowhere, she will sprawl herself out on the floor, face down, and cry hysterically for what seems to me, to be for no reason.  I have tried everything in order to stop this from happening or at least help stop it while it is happening.  I’ve ignored her, I’ve picked her up, I’ve tried to get Zoey to make nice to her, but nothing seems to work.  She throws her fit and eventually it passes.
Now, of course, I have tried to rationalize this ridiculous behavior too!  So far I’ve come up with the following reasons as to why my amazingly fantastic child becomes the devil’s spawn every so often:
1.        She is getting a mouthful of teeth at the same time.  Now, I know this sounds like an excuse that every parent uses at some point, but I actually really think she’s getting a bunch of teeth at once.  And, that does not sound like fun!
2.       She is going through the terrible two’s and it is what it is
3.       She’s going through a growth spurt right now and could be in pain or is super hungry or super tired and this makes her super cranky
4.       She’s getting frustrated that she’s not really talking too much yet.  Kayla can communicate somewhat with her needs and desires, but Zoey is much more verbal and I’m thinking Kayla is getting very frustrated that I don’t know exactly what she wants or needs.  Sorry Kayla, but believe me, I wish you could just tell me what it is already too!!
5.       She’s still experiencing stranger anxiety and/or overstimulation.  I have noticed that she seems more comfortable in smaller areas with fewer toys, but the problem is, this theory doesn’t always hold true.  I’ve also noticed she’s more comfortable with moms and kids she knows, but again, this isn’t always the case.
So, whatever the reason is, I’m really hoping that within the first few weeks of 2012, Kayla and/or I figure it out and make it better.  I want this for my sake, for her sake and for Zoey’s sake.  Poor Zoey ends up taking heat from these tantrums as well.  In general, Zoey has always been a more mild-tempered, easy going person and I can’t blame her when she sees Kayla cry hysterically, get picked up and then want the same thing to happen to her!  But, I know I’m lucky that in general, Zoey is always pretty good!  Not to say that Kayla is bad, but let’s just call it more high maintenance!  I truly do love my girls equally, but I’m hoping things get a little easier soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment